Tuesday, September 06, 2005

It's Time To Kiss Some Ass.

So, the question is, why do a Stage/Parlor Magic Show?
The answer is, I dunno.
The thing is I didn't actually plan on doing this, I just blurted it out one day.
Let me explain, no, it takes too long, let me sum up.
For reasons that will be explained in a later post, I gave up on magic. I symbolically and literally put a pack of red bicycle cards on the table next to my couch and left them there for the better part of a year and a half, then one day I noticed they were still there and started playing around with them. Less than a week later I had producers and was planning a show.
It went like this. My good friends Todd & Tracy McGinnis, owners of Playing After Dark http://www.playingafterdark.com (Todd also has a Blog at http://playingafterdark1.blogspot.com// ) had just produced a play called "Thunderbolts and Dunderheads" and we (meaning them, my wife and I and Dave "enema Bag" Jones) went out for dinner. There was light conversation, nothing too earth shattering, then in the middle of all this I go "Hey Todd & Tracy, do you guy's want to produce my stage magic show?"
They said "Sure."
I went "Great."
Then I took a moment and wondered where the hell that came from.
You see, I wasn't thinking of doing a show. I wasn't thinking of anything really, but for some reason I blurted out this insane idea about doing a show and suddenly I had producers.
I hear that's how Andrew Loyd Webber started out.
Now don't get me wrong, I don't regret asking them, it just surprised me as it came, literally, out of no where.
Not soon after this, I decided that it might be a good idea to actually start thinking about my next move, since I can't expect everything I suddenly blurt out of my mouth to be as good as that. (At least not after the pearl diver incident of '98, which, by the way, I can apply for a pardon for.)
So I though, and thought. I bought notebooks and started filling them within idea's. I began to research the type of tricks I want to do (more on that later) and I gave a great deal of thought as to what type of help I need to pull this off.
This brought me to my second big decision that also involves Todd & Tracy.
At a party at Dave "enema Bag" Jones new home about two weeks later, I asked Todd if he would co-write the show with me. I also asked Tracy if she would direct. They both have a great deal of experience in these area's and couldn't think of any better due to fill those positions.
They said yes, by the way.
So here I am. I've got producers, a co-writer and a director. What I don't have is a place or a date in which to perform. I am assuming that part will come along before too long. In the mean time, I am researching and reheasing new and wonderful tricks that are guaranteed to knock your socks off (or at least kill some time I couldn't fill with anything better.)

Next post: Why do you think you have a problem?

1 Comments:

Blogger Anonymous said...

I have it on good authority that your new-found relationship with Todd & Tracy is the only new relationship that developed from that party.

I gotta start hanging out with new people.

10:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home